Grade 9 (£49,772 - £55,998)
We are seeking a highly motivated and expert medicinal chemist for a key leadership role. The successful applicant will lead one of our major programmes, setting strategy, and ensuring goals and milestones are met. The appointee will line manage, and drive interactions between the medicinal chemists, biologists, computational chemists and the drug metabolism & pharmacokinetics experts within the Drug Discovery Unit (DDU) team. She/ he will be involved in managing interactions and scientific work with multiple external collaborators.
The DDU (see http://www.drugdiscovery.dundee.ac.uk ) is a fully integrated drug discovery organisation based within a world class Life Sciences research environment. Its remit is to complement BioPharma activities by tackling both neglected diseases (leishmaniasis, TB and malaria) and validating novel drug targets across a range of therapeutics areas. The DDU works to Biotech style philosophy and standards incorporating, dynamic, goal driven project management based on Target Product Profiles and Compound Selection Criteria. The project goals are therapeutic area dependent but range from quality leads demonstrating disease model proof of concept, through to pre-clinical candidates.
In addition to leading a project, you will contribute more widely to the DDU, helping to drive innovation within the drug discovery process and best practice.
The post is available immediately. Salary will depend on experience, but will be on the Grade 9 Salary Scale between £49,772 and £55,998.
· Candidates must be professionally qualified with a PhD in a chemical science related discipline or alternatively a BSc in chemistry with subsequent substantial experience of medicinal chemistry in the BioPharma industry or related
· Significant experience of leading medicinal chemistry projects
· Having a key role in taking a project(s) through to preclinical candidate selection and preferably to clinical candidate selection
· Demonstrable expertise in the concepts and practice of medicinal chemistry
Understanding and appreciation of the drug discovery process, including the interactions between biology, drug metabolism & pharmacokinetics, computational & structural biology and medicinal chemistry
· Expertise in synthetic chemistry route design
· Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
· Experience of line management of medicinal chemists
· Excellent time management, organisational and communication skills
· A demonstrable ability to work flexibly and to meet project milestones
· Evidence of your expertise through patents, papers and/ or preclinical candidates
· Ability to take the initiative
· Experience and background in Biotech, CRO or Pharma industry.
Closing Date: 23 June 2017
A few facts about The School of Life Sciences at Dundee:
· The School of Life Sciences has over 1000 research and support staff from around 60 countries and external funding in excess of £100 million
· Dundee has twice been named ‘the best place to work in Europe’ in a poll of scientists conducted by The Scientist magazine
· Life Sciences at the University of Dundee is the highest-rated for Biological Sciences in the UK by the main standard of University research performance REF2014.
· Dundee, set on the east coast of Scotland, has a relatively low cost of living. It lies in an area of outstanding natural beauty, including large sandy beaches and challenging hills.
The University of Dundee is a diverse community and is committed to equality of opportunity for all by providing a supportive, flexible and inclusive working environment. We have family friendly policies (including flexible working and childcare vouchers), staff groups for LGBT and BME; and prayer room facilities.
The University of Dundee has received the Athena SWAN Bronze Award (Athena Swan ) which recognises the promotion of gender equality and has made further commitment to advancing inclusive culture which supports and encourages all under-represented groups.
The University of Dundee is a Scottish Registered Charity, No. SC015096.
|Click here to apply for this job|
|Email these job details to a friend|
|Back to search results|
Cleaner, University of Wolverhampton, United Kingdom, about 1 hour ago
Location Springfield Campus Faculty/Department Estates and Facilities Salary £16,302.51 per annum (pro rata) A vacancy exist at the University of Wolverhampton for an enthusiastic person to join t...