Vacancy Type/Job category
£29,301-£38,183 per annum
The University of Warwick - Coventry
Fixed term contract for one year
PDRA in computational image analysis and RNAseq
As part of our MRC backed research efforts into understanding the cellular and molecular underpinnings of breathing control, we are looking for a dedicated postdoctoral research fellow who has significant experimental experience in recombinase-mediated transgenesis, computational biological image analysis (involving essential programming skills in Python and Java) and who can perform RNAseq computational analysis of single cell cDNA data obtained from a new population of cells involved in breathing control. Applicants with the combination of skills outlined above are encouraged to apply.
For informal enquires, please contact Professor Georgy Koentges at: G.Koentges@warwick.ac.uk
If you have not yet been awarded your PhD but are near submission or have recently submitted your PhD, any offers of employment will be made as Research Assistant on level 5 of the University grade structure (£28,453 pa). Upon successful award of your PhD and evidence of this fact, you will be promoted to Research Fellow on the first point of level 6 of the University grade structure (£29,301 pa).
Help generate and analyze single cell mapping data and RNA seq data of a new population of cells involved in adult breathing control.
Undertake research in order to support the work of the department and develop and enhance its reputation, both internally and externally. Assist the Project Leader and, where appropriate, project collaborators in the successful execution of the project.
Duties and Responsibilities
• She/he will help establish a sound research base within the department in order to assist the development of research objectives and proposals for own or joint research.
• Conduct individual and collaborative research projects.
• To publish research outcomes in appropriate journals of international standing and to publish and disseminate the result of research to other reputable outlets.
• Translate knowledge of advances in the subject area into research activity.
• May contribute to preparing proposals and applications to external bodies, e.g. for funding and contractual purposes, to support a developing research agenda.
• May present information on research progress and outcomes to bodies supervising research, e.g. steering groups.
• May contribute to the preparation of papers for steering groups and other bodies.
• Communicate complex information (orally and in writing) and material of a specialist or highly technical nature.
• Continually update own knowledge and understanding in field or specialism.
TEACHING AND LEARNING SUPPORT
• Could be expected to contribute to the teaching and learning programmes in the department.
• Assist in the supervision of student projects and the development of student research skills.
• May be involved in the assessment of student knowledge and supervision of projects.
ADMINISTRATION AND OTHER ACTIVITIES
• May be required to attend departmental meetings and to participate (where necessary) in other committees and working groups within the department, the faculty and the University.
• Ensure compliance with health and safety in all aspects of work.
• Work within budget constraints.
The duties and responsibilities outlined are not intended to be an exhaustive list but provide guidance on the main aspects of the job. You will be required to be flexible in your duties.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1
Possession of a PhD in relevant discipline a)
Essential Criteria 2
Significant experimental experience in recombinase-mediated transgenesis a) c)
Essential Criteria 3
Proven ability in to perform computational image analysis and ability to write, modify ImageJ and other plugins a), c)
Essential Criteria 4
Ability to programme in Java and Python a), c)
Essential Criteria 5
Sufficient breadth or depth of specialist knowledge in the discipline of developmental biology/genetics a), c)
Essential Criteria 6
Expert knowledge how to analyze RNAseq data (Demonstrated by either successfully attending a training course or evidence of research work). a) c)
Essential Criteria 7
Good effective communication (oral and written) skills, presentation and training skills a), c), d)
Essential Criteria 8
Ability to work independently and as part of a team on research programmes c)
Desirable Criteria 1
Ability or potential to contribute to the development of funding proposals in order to generate external funding to support research projects. a) c)
For further information about the University of Warwick, please read our University Further Particulars .
For further information about the department, please visit the departmental website .
Our project involves in depth cellular and molecular analysis of brainstem circuitry and the changes in cellular composition during the lifetime of an organism. We have recently discovered substantial changes in cellular composition through time and are now investigating their lienage origins and molecular controls. The PRDA to be advertised will work on aspects of lineage, spatial mapping, clonal analysis and dispersion of genetically defined lineages and will relate clonal spread with changes in single cell gene expression in relation to time and other parameters.
Recruitment of Ex-Offenders Policy
As an organisation using the (DBS) Disclosure and Barring Service to assess applicants’ suitability for positions of trust, the University of Warwick complies with the DBS Code of Practice and undertakes not to discriminate unfairly against any subject of a Disclosure on the basis of a conviction or other information revealed. More information is available on the University’s Vacancy pages and applicants may request a copy of the DBS Code of Practice.
Right to work in the UK
If you do not yet have the right to work in the UK and/ or are seeking sponsorship under Tier 2 of the UK points-based immigration system
please click on this link which contains further information about obtaining right to work in the UK and details about eligibility for sponsorship under Tier 2.
7 May 2017