Vacancy Type/Job category
Management & Professional
Academic Registrar's Office - Student Careers and Skills
£29,301-£38,183 per annum
The University of Warwick - Coventry
Fixed term for 1 year
The University of Warwick Enterprise Partnership was launched on the 6th February 2014. This initiative aims to connect and sustain the breadth of University enterprise provision that encompasses being enterprising, being entrepreneurial and enterprise explicit and implicit within the Warwick curriculum. The Partnership represent 14 different departments from across the University including the Students’ Union and its collective product, the Warwick Enterprise Pathway, is referenced in the University Strategy under Goal 1 and Goal 5.
One of the Partnership’s member departments is the Centre for Student Careers & Skills (SCS), which specifically supports social enterprise, development programmes to support ‘being enterprising’ and pitch training, graduate entrepreneurship (as a career option and Tier 1), 1:1 guidance, and access to national and international networks, competitions and schemes.
SCS is currently seeking an Enterprise Development Officer to roll-out and develop these student-facing opportunities for academic year 2016 / 2017 onwards. The post-holder will also be required to contribute to the work of the Enterprise Partnership as appropriate.
The post-holder will be passionate about the importance of enterprise education for our current generation of students. They will have a track record of developing and delivering high quality development opportunities, working in collaboration with others and project management as well as a pragmatic knowledge of enterprise start-up. An energetic and entrepreneurial approach to developing professional practice in this field would be advantageous.
We are currently seeking to recruit an enthusiastic enterprise educator to fulfil a fixed term maternity cover contract from14th July 2017 for 12 months until 13th July 2018.
To lead and manage the implementation of Enterprise initiatives that contribute to the student experience / employability portfolio under the umbrella of the broader University Warwick Enterprise Pathway. With employability of all students high on the agenda, this post is crucial in integrating the spectrum of enterprise into the University offer for all students.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. To develop, deliver and connect a spectrum of programmes, events and opportunities including Social Enterprise, UKBA Tier 1 Programme, Santander Universities Competition & Lord Rootes Memorial Fund; and embed ‘being enterprising’ related opportunities within existing skills programmes within SCS and provision delivered through the Students’ Union (e.g. pitch training).
2. To provide 1:1 or small group enterprise consultations for any student or staff member wishing to discuss an enterprise idea and facilitate the necessary referral to internal or external expertise or resource to enable individuals’ ideas to be accelerated. In follow up to these, ensure the appropriate monitoring and support mechanisms are in place for emerging start-up enterprises (e.g. sourcing mentors, conducting periodic review meetings).
3. To work closely with External Relations teams in Student Careers & Skills to ensure the growth of numbers and range of employers seeking to support Warwick students to develop their enterprise capabilities is integrated with business and relationship development across the Centre. This will focus on enterprise related work experience (working closely with Internships Development Team), development activities (e.g. Warwick Challenge, competitions, employer-led seminars (working with EC particularly) and the work of Senior Careers Consultants in promoting and enabling entrepreneurship to be considered as a viable graduate employment outcomes.
4. Through partnership with the University’s External Relations teams (including Development Office, Warwick Ventures, WMG, WBS), foster stakeholder engagement with enterprise in ways congruent with Student Development programmes. (e.g. small scale sponsorship, inclusion on Enterprise panels, speakers for events, mentors for student start-ups).
5. To oversee the day-to-day development of the Enterprise at Warwick virtual space and ensure content is up-to-date, engaging and represents the breadth of Enterprise activity at Warwick as well as opportunities nationally and internationally. This incorporates acting as the key point of liaison between the Warwick Enterprise Pathway and the Student Enterprise Network as well as official University support for Enactus.
6. To develop knowledge and understanding of commercial education and enterprise, using this knowledge to inform and shape strategies for student engagement and to provide specialist support and information to employers in partnership with External Relations.
7. To manage expenditure in line with the annual budget plan. Introducing and maintaining accurate and up-to-date financial records, and producing financial reports to account for budget expenditure and carry out effective recording, monitoring and evaluation in line with current systems used within Student Careers and Skills.
The Person Specification focuses on the knowledge, skills, experience and qualifications required to undertake the role effectively. This is measured by (a) Application Form, (b) Test/Exercise, (c) Interview, (d) Presentation.
Essential Criteria 1
Honours degree or equivalent (a)
Essential Criteria 2
Experience in a business development role and a track record of achievement in relationship development (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 3
Experience of project management including strong organisational skills in a customer facing role and the ability to apply a high level of accuracy with attention to detail and excellent planning skills (a), (b), (c)
Essential Criteria 4
A commitment to developing and providing high quality student development opportunities and ability to design and implement student development solutions for graduate level students (a), (c), (d)
Essential Criteria 5
Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including experience of report writing (a), (b), (c)
Essential Criteria 6
Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to network and develop strong working relationships with employers, staff and students (a), (c), (d)
Essential Criteria 7
Strategic, analytical and research skills, including familiarity with internet and online resources (a), (b), (c)
Essential Criteria 8
Good IT skills, preferably including experience of web page design (a), (c), (d)
Essential Criteria 9
Ability to seek sources of funding, develop and write bids and to develop the necessary relationships to ensure success (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 10
Knowledge or experience of managing projects within a research or Higher Education environment (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 11
Experience of supporting researcher development activities (a), (c)
Essential Criteria 12
Experience of working on your own initiative, to prioritise, work efficiently under pressure, and coordinate own work load (a), (b), (c), (d)
Essential Criteria 13
Experience of managing multiple budgets and managing relevant reporting processes efficiently and within required timescales (a), (c)
Desirable Criteria 1
Postgraduate qualification (a)
For further information about the University of Warwick, please read our University Further Particulars .
For further information about the department, please visit the departmental website .
Recruitment of Ex-Offenders Policy
As an organisation using the (DBS) Disclosure and Barring Service to assess applicants’ suitability for positions of trust, the University of Warwick complies with the DBS Code of Practice and undertakes not to discriminate unfairly against any subject of a Disclosure on the basis of a conviction or other information revealed. More information is available on the University’s Vacancy pages and applicants may request a copy of the DBS Code of Practice.
Right to work in the UK
If you do not yet have the right to work in the UK and/ or are seeking sponsorship under Tier 2 of the UK points-based immigration system
please click on this link which contains further information about obtaining right to work in the UK and details about eligibility for sponsorship under Tier 2.
14 May 2017
It Procurement Officer, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Coventry University is a dynamic, global and transformational 'Modern University'. With a proud tradition as a provider of innovative teaching and learning and a focus on impactful research, the U...
Procurement Manager – Professional Services, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
In recent years Coventry's student satisfaction levels and teaching quality have been rated amongst the best in the UK, which in turn has led to impressive rises in every major university league t...
Senior Web And Social Media Assistant, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
As a member of the University's Marketing and External Affairs Office you will work closely with staff within the Faculty of Engineering, Environment & Computing to progress the Faculty's work in ...
Regional Manager South East Asia, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Do you enjoy finding new business in Higher Education? Are you ambitious with international vision? Can you turn hot prospects into sales? Coventry University is now one of the leading UK study de...
Enrolment Officer, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Enrol in a world of opportunity As one of the UK's leading international student recruiters, Coventry University has approximately 7,000 international students from over 130 countries. This role i...
Lecturer In Electrical/Electronic Engineering, Coventry University, United Kingdom, about 20 hours ago
Lecturer in Electrical/Electronic Engineering Faculty of Engineering, Environment & Computing £32,013 - £39,333 per annum As one of Coventry's biggest employers, we offer some pretty impressive be...