|Radioisotope Lab Safety Specialist|
| KAUST is establishing a radioisotope laboratory under the Core Labs to support the faculty in the Bioscience field. The radioisotope Lab safety specialist reports to the Facilities Director and works closely with the Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist, The Institutional Radiation Safety Committee, HSE and Procurement amongst others. The individual in this role will oversee the radioisotope facility. After establishment of the laboratory the major responsibilities are safety, compliance, keeping high standards of the lab organization, training and supervision of users and maintaining appropriate inventory control. |
Another area of tasks will include other HSE related matters for KAUST Core Labs. That will covered in close collaboration with the Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist.
The working environment and mentality in the Core Labs is service-and support-oriented in a cooperative spirit.
• Establish a radioisotope user facility in the Core Labs and ensure daily operations run smoothly. Includes maintaining appropriate inventory control.
• Train, supervise and work closely with the users (mainly students, postdocs and research staff at KAUST)
• Maintain and manage the laboratory equipment in the radioisotope lab.
• Conduct risk assessments to anticipate, recognize, and control workplace hazards including ionizing radiation, biological and chemical hazards in the Core Labs.
• Perform inspections in laboratories to monitor compliance with safety regulations and to identify opportunities for further minimizing risks.
• Consult with diverse population of student, staff, and faculty to determine suitable and effective actions on identified risks.
• Liaise with HSE and other functional departments on all workplace health and safety issues.
• Liaise with support departments to ensure proper operation and maintenance of specialized hazard control systems such as hazard exhaust ventilation systems, emission abatement systems as well as toxic gas detection and alarm systems.
• Assist in the review of research protocols and lab safety plans.
• Participate in the development of guidelines and safety procedures.
• Identify safety training needs. Develop, conduct and coordinate necessary safety trainings for Core Lab personnel.
• Report regularly on laboratory safety status and issues to the Facilities Director and to the Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist.
• Liaise with hazardous material specialists in the management of radioactive waste, biowaste and hazardous chemical waste.
• Serve as a resource and as a member of an emergency response team for responding to incidents involving release of hazardous chemicals or biohazardous materials.
• Build effective partnerships with staff, faculty, and students throughout the Core Labs by freely sharing appropriate information and providing assistance when needed.
• Examine, for approval, plans and specifications of proposed biological & chemical material controls.
• Participate in the design review process for labs intending to use chemicals and biohazardous materials.
• Keep abreast of technology and current issues through seminars and training.
• Actively participate in various safety programs and interface with the HSE Team and various other campus groups.
• Any other task assigned by the Facilities Director or Core Labs Senior Safety Specialist.
• Broad range of knowledge in control of ionizing radiation, biosafety, chemical safety and laser safety; as well as relevant standards, codes, and regulations.
• Experienced in the operation, calibration and maintenance of a variety of radiation monitoring instruments.
• Previous experience with radioisotope labelling in bioscience
• Good organizational skills.
• Ability to develop and conduct, independently, effective evaluation and surveys for a wide range of hazards.
• Enthusiastic about training young students and others
• Ability to work well in a team and collaborate with others
• Proactive personality and positive mindset
• Ability to use Microsoft Office including Word and Excel.
• Excellent verbal and written skills (English).
• Able to work independently with limited supervision.
• Able to work effectively in a culturally diverse work environment.
• Able to multitask and work productively in a fast paced environment and under emergency situations.
• Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering, Master’s degree preferred.
• Professional qualifications such as Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or equivalent are preferred.
• Experience setting up and maintaining a radioisotope laboratory.
• Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience preferably gained in a research environment.
Clinical Associate Masters In Health Sciences (Job Id #82012), University of Illinois, United States, about 18 hours ago
• Build the anatomy lab teaching modules, cadaver prosections and create weekly student lab schedules in collaboration with the anatomy faculty and academic leadership. • Assist with building and ...
Principal / Lead / Senior Systems Engineer (Infrastructure Vm Ware / Sddc), National University of Singapore, Singapore, about 13 hours ago
Assistant Medical Laboratory Technologist - 0062V Description University Health Centre (UHC) set up under NUS, is a holistic healthcare provider for the entire NUS community. You will provide labo...
R&D Position In Applied Nuclear Physics And Radiochemistry, Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 14 days ago
Apply no later than 7 July 2017 Apply for the job at DTU Nutech by completing the following form. Apply online DTU Nutech, Hevesy Laboratory, Section for Medical Isotopes, invites applications fo...
Surgical Director, Emory Structural Heart & Valve Center, Emory University, United States, 4 days ago
739020:SOM: Surgery: Thoracic 73254BR Job Description The Surgical Director of the Emory Structural Heart & Valve Center (SH&V) is a faculty position with Emory University School of Medicine, Depa...
Master Utilities Control Systems Technician, Texas A&M University, United States, 9 days ago
Posting Details Position Information Position Title Master Utilities Metering Systems Technician Posting Title Master Utilities Control Systems Technician System Member Institution/Agency TEXAS A&...
Master Utilities Metering Systems Technician, Texas A&M University, United States, about 17 hours ago
Posting Details Position Information Position Title Master Utilities Metering Systems Technician Posting Title Master Utilities Metering Systems Technician System Member Institution/Agency TEXAS A...