We are looking to appoint an experienced Microbiology Technician to assist academic staff with teaching, research and industrial activities. The appointee will be familiar with the operation and maintenance of a wide range of technical equipment. The appointee will also maintain the stock culture collection. Prior research and industrial microbiological laboratory experience will be essential.
$40,911 - $60,328 pa
11:45 p.m. on 20 August 2017
Massey University is seeking to appoint an experienced Microbiology Technician at the Manawatu campus.
This position will provide technical expertise in microbiology in the Microbiology suite for undergraduate teaching, contract work and support for postgraduate and staff research in food and industrial microbiology. The technician will have sole responsibility for the preparation of laboratory classes and assist the relevant academic in demonstrating to students. The technician will also provide technical support for postgraduate research students and be familiar in the operation of specialist equipment including PCR/molecular analyses equipment, flow cytometry, spectrophotometric analysis, growth kinetic analyser and fermenter operation. This technical support will also include academic staff and other students in research and industrial consultancy. The technician will also undertake testing for the food industry, commission and maintain laboratory equipment, train users in the correct and safe use of equipment and maintain the stock culture collection.
This is a position with a high level of responsibility, and previous research and industrial microbiological laboratory experience will be essential. The appointee will need to have good communication and time management skills, and enjoy working in teams and with students.
To provide technical expertise in microbiology in the shared Massey Institute of Food Science and Technology (MIFST)/ School of Engineering and Technology (SEAT) microbiology suite for undergraduate teaching, contract work and support for post graduate and staff research in food and industrial microbiology.
Professor, Food Safety and Microbiology
Responsibility: Sole responsibility for the preparation of laboratory classes and assisting the academic in demonstrating. Note we do not hire students to assist with demonstrating.
Responsibility: Training in the operation of specialist equipment including:
• PCR/molecular analyses equipment
• Protrol (Death kinetics)
• Epifluorescence microscopy
• Flow cytometry
• Microtitre plate reading
• Spectrophotometric analysis
• Impedance analysis
• Advice on general microbiological techniques – testing protocols.
• Growth kinetic analyser
• Fermenter operation
Technical support for academic staff and students
• Providing testing and analysis for academic staff required for their industry consultancy and research
• Providing analysis and/or training for final year BFoodTech(Hons) students for their industry funded research projects
Contract testing for the food industry, food pilot and other clients
• Doing microbiological tests for clients in Riddet Innovation for products manufacturing in the FoodPilot
• Doing microbiological tests for samples from the food industry via the Manager of the Nutrition Laboratory
Note the number of samples from both sources is increasing at a rate of 20% per year. The Food Chemistry lab is also stretched to cope with the current number of samples being received and some of this flows into the Microbiology laboratory.
Commissioning and maintaining laboratory equipment
• The microbiological laboratory has specialist equipment that requires regular maintenance. This is important to ensure the validity of results for external clients paying for testing and research.
Training users in the operation of laboratory equipment
• Each new research student requires training. This extends to students from other parts of the MIFST not based in the laboratory but requiring the use of equipment for part of their research.
Maintaining the stock culture collection
• Responsible for safe and secure storage of stock cultures required for research and teaching. We hold an extensive culture collection of isolates vital for research projects.
• Tracking cultures have been imported into NZ under strict biosecurity guidelines. This is a requirement for the operation of a PC2 facility.
BSc or higher
Microbiological laboratory experience through prior research or industrial experience
Personal attributes and behaviours
Ability to work in a team
Good interpersonal and communication skills
Ability to work co-operatively and independently
Ability to solve problems with technical equipment
Competence in microbiology and molecular biology
Senior Program Manager, University of Maryland, United States, about 15 hours ago
Position Summary/Purpose of Position: This position serves as the Senior Biosafety Program Manager and reports to the Biosafety Manager/Biosafety Officer in the Department of Environmental Safety,...
Research Associate Biodegradation Of Petroleum Hydrocarbons, University of Alberta, Canada, 24 days ago
ALES RR General Competition No. - A108233391 Closing Date - Jul 24, 2017 This competition is open to current University of Alberta employees only.. The Research Associate will be responsib...
Quality Control Technician, University of Alberta, Canada, 9 days ago
MED Medical Microbio & Immunol Competition No. - S112633507 Posting Date - Aug 04, 2017 Closing Date - Aug 14, 2017 Position Type - Full Time - Grant Funded Salary Range - $46,...
Research Associate Bio Active Peptides, University of Alberta, Canada, 4 days ago
ALES AFNS General Competition No. - A108133529 Closing Date - Sep 22, 2017 The Research Associate plays a key role within the Department of Agricultural, Food and Nutritional Science on bi...
Hvac Mechanic Iii Ibbr, University of Maryland, United States, about 15 hours ago
Position Summary/Purpose of Position: Under the supervision of the Plant Superintendent, works at the Journeyman level to operate and service a variety of large, complex commercial and industrial ...
Research Technician Iii, Georgia Institute of Technology, United States, 28 days ago
Research Technician III( Job Number: 0175296) Description Job Purpose: Provide professional level support to a school or research laboratory within the Institute in conducting and reporting result...