Faculty of Science - AB Biodiversity Monitoring Institute
Competition No. - S106133017
Posting Date - Jun 07, 2017
Closing Date - Jun 27, 2017
Position Type - Full Time - Grant Funded
Salary Range - $40,952 to $54,060 per year
Grade - 04
Hours - 40
This position has a term of one year with a possibility of renewal and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at: www.hrs.ualberta.ca .
The University of Alberta (Department of Biological Sciences) and the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute (ABMI) have developed a research partnership. This long-term initiative will make Alberta a world-leader in the field of biodiversity monitoring and research. Designed to track changes in biodiversity across the entirety of Alberta for the next 100 years, this program provides Albertan's the ability to make informed decisions about the state of their environment in ways never before possible.
The GIS Technician will report to the ABMI Geospatial Centre Manager.
- Interprets and maps human footprint from satellite imagery and GIS layers
- Investigates and applies emerging GIS-based approaches to improve the work quality and solutions
- Coordinates and undertakes quality assurance and quality control on work prior to passing it on as required
- Summarizes and exports GIS information as required for analyses and distributing output information
- Performs other related duties as required
- Post-secondary degree in GIS, remote sensing, natural resource science, or related discipline preferred; minimum High School Diploma
- Minimum one year with ArcGIS experience and hands-on experience with geospatial analysis and applied GIS-based tools
- Proficient and thorough understanding of GIS and spatial analysis principles and applications
- Familiar with a variety of technologies capable of storing spatial data (i.e. ArcSDE, file geodatabases, Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
- Familiarity with Alberta's landscape and environmental settings
- Strong organization skills, including the ability to work independently or within project teams of various sizes
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Gis Certificate Coordinator, William and Mary, United States, about 4 hours ago
The Center for Geospatial Analysis at the College of William & Mary invites applications for a professional, non-tenure track position as Coordinator of the GIS Certificate Program beginning in th...
] Martha N. And John C. Moser Professor Of Arthropod Biosystematics And Biodiversity, , United States, about 21 hours ago
Martha N. and John C. Moser Professor of Arthropod Biosystematics and Biodiversity The Department of Entomology at Cornell University seeks to fill a tenure-track position in terrestrial arthropod...
Assistant/Associate Professor Control Of Structured Networks, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, about 15 hours ago
Position Assistant Professor, Associate Professor Departments Department of Electrical Engineering Reference number V36.2970 Job description The Eindhoven University of Technology (TU/e) has a vac...
Specialist, Research Data, University of Massachusetts Medical School, United States, about 9 hours ago
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION: A Research Data Specialist Level position as a Bioinformatics Scientist is open in the Department of Neurology at UMass Medical School. The candidate will be expected ...
Teaching And Learning Specialist, Northern Alberta Institute of Technology, Canada, about 6 hours ago
Teaching and Learning Specialist Learning and Teaching Commons Competition #: 217250 Opening Date: 7/7/17 Scope: Limited to current NAIT Employees Closing Date: 7/21/17 Location: Main Campus Descr...
Junior Clinical Fellow In General Surgery, King's College Hospital, United Kingdom, about 19 hours ago
Junior Clinical Fellow In General Surgery An exciting opportunity exists to join a Junior Surgical Fellowship programme in our teaching Hospital Trust.The successful candidates will rotate through...