Faculty of Engineering - Department of Chemical and Materials Engineering
Competition No. - S103631269D1
Posting Date - Jul 04, 2017
Closing Date - Jul 11, 2017
Position Type - Full Time - Grant Funded
Salary Range - $57,628 to $78,270 per year
Grade - 08
Hours - 40
This position has an expected end date of one year from the date of hire, with the possibility of extension, and offers a comprehensive benefits package that can be viewed at: www.hrs.ualberta.ca
The Faculty of Engineering is looking for a Biophysics and Molecular Research Assistant to join the Engineering team in the Ingenuity Lab.
The Biophysics & Molecular Research Assistant will support the research needs of Ingenuity Lab by providing the knowledge and experience necessary to use computer simulations to complement experiments performed in Ingenuity Lab throughout a broad portfolio of projects.
- Conducts Molecular Dynamics simulations following the instructions of senior researchers
- Conducts data analysis/interpretation following the instructions of senior researchers
- Writes programs that will model the behavior of molecules in various conditions, including creating computational models, performing literature searches and determining best types of models
- Assists in preparing project data summaries, presentations and reports
- Assists in managing research records and data to ensure that all information is properly stored (including backups, organized, and accessible)
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in biophysics, supplemented by biophysics/molecular post-secondary education; Master’s preferred; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered
- 4 years of working experience in molecular modelling
- Good general knowledge and understanding of biophysics and molecular dynamics simulations
- Experience in writing reports and scientific papers
- Strong organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to perform simulations based on direction and procedures provided by senior researchers; ability to generate and maintain accurate records
- Research experience in organic-inorganic interfaces and drug design
- Must be capable of programming and scripting languages such as Python and Shell
- Experience in several major bio-molecular, material science modeling packages such as LAMMPS, AMBER and NAMD
- Experience in using visualization softwares such as MOE and VMD
- Must be capable and willing to learn and gain ability to make decisions on modelling procedures or troubleshooting/debugging
- Excellent communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills; accuracy and attention to detail
- Adaptable, self-motivated individual, able to work well in a team and independently
The Faculty of Engineering is committed to a culture of effectiveness, trust and execution. Along with your resume, please submit a cover letter that outlines how you would contribute to this type of culture and why you feel you are the right fit for this position. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
How to Apply
Note: Online applications are accepted until midnight Mountain Standard Time of the closing date.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those individuals selected for an interview will be contacted.
The University of Alberta is committed to an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workforce. We welcome applications from all qualified persons. We encourage women; First Nations, Métis and Inuit persons; members of visible minority groups; persons with disabilities; persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity and expression; and all those who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas and the University to apply.
Tenure Track Assistant Professor In Biophysics (1.0 Fte), Utrecht University, Netherlands, 1 day ago
Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Biophysics (1.0 FTE) Functie This Tenure Track position has been created to strengthen the Division/ leerstoelgroep in Molecular and Cellular Biophysics that is...
Ph D Fellow In Structural Biophysics – The Structure Of Membrane Proteins Under Solution Conditions Studied By Small Angle X Ray And Neutron Scattering, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 11 hours ago
A PhD position is available from October 1st, 2017, at the University of Copenhagen, Denmark under the NordForsk funded project “The structure of membrane proteins under solution conditions”. The ...
Research Opportunity In Chemical Medical Countermeasures, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 13 hours ago
Biomedical Advanced Research and Development Authority, Washington, District of Columbia Position Description: A research opportunity is available in the Biomedical Advanced Research and Developme...
Research Technician Iii, Georgia Institute of Technology, United States, 28 days ago
Research Technician III( Job Number: 0175296) Description Job Purpose: Provide professional level support to a school or research laboratory within the Institute in conducting and reporting result...
Research Associate Nanoscale Modeling & Simulation, University of British Columbia, Canada, about 12 hours ago
The Stewart Blusson Quantum Matter Institute (SBQMI) at the University of British Columbia is seeking PhD-level scientific researchers with expertise and a broad vision on atomic scale modeling an...
Assistant Professor In (Bio)Medical Image Acquisition, Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands, 29 days ago
The Department of Biomedical Engineering of the Eindhoven University of Technology has a vacancy for an Assistant Professor in (Bio)Medical Image Acquisition. Position Assistant Professor Departme...