Job posted by KU Leuven (09/11/2016 01.45)
Marie Curie Actions. More
'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. More
European Research Council. More
The Laboratory of Clinical Bacteriology and Mycology in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology - University of Leuven (KU Leuven) - Belgium has a vacant position for a PhD student in medical mycology.
The mission of our laboratory is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of invasive fungal infections. The Leuven International Doctoral School Biomedical Sciences is a lively community counting over 1200 PhD researchers, more than 250 supervisors and a dedicated administrative staff.
Aspergilli are ubiquitous in the environment and cause a whole spectrum of human diseases including invasive life threatening infections in immunocompromised hosts. Triazole antifungal drugs are currently the cornerstones of prophylaxis and treatment of Aspergillus-releated diseases but global emergence of triazole resistance is a concern. Exposure of Aspergillus fumigatus to azole fungicides in the environment is believed to be an important route of resistance selection.
The aims of this project are:
- to gain a better insight in the evolving epidemiology of azole resistant A. fumigatus and the resistance mechanisms involved, through surveillance and molecular analysis of triazole resistant A. fumigatus isolates retrieved within the context of an international network (Aspergillus Resistance Surveillance working group from the International Society of Human and Animal Mycology, ISHAM, coordinators Prof dr Paul E.Verweij, the Netherlands, Prof dr Katrien Lagrou, Belgium, Prof dr A.Chowdhary, India and Dr SR Lockhart, USA). 25 centers have expressed interest to participate. These centers are well spread geographically including Europe, Middle East, Asia, Australia, Africa and the United States
- to evaluate the influence of resistance mechanisms on in vivo growth and disease progression in an established mouse model of invasive aspergillosis through multimodal imaging and biomarker testing in the presence or absence of antifungal prophylaxis/treatment and in a setting of mono- or mixed infection.
Nr of positions available : 1
Please note that the full description may be available in the national language since some job boards have their own publication policy. Thank you for your understanding!
Biological sciences - Biology
Medical sciences - Medicine
Early stage researcher or 0-4 yrs (Post graduate)
We offer a full time doctoral student research position for 4 years. The research output should result in a PhD degree.A stimulating work environment with direct contact with the University Hospitals of Leuven (a large tertiary care hospital) and molecular Small Animal Imaging Centre (moSAIC).
Comment/web site for additional job details
Reference number BAP-2016-579
- Master in medicine, pharmaceutical sciences,biomedical sciences or equivalent with outstanding study results.
- You are fluent in interdisciplinary English communication.
- You are critical, flexible, independent, creative, a team-player, willing to conduct rodent experiments and eager to emerge yourself in the complex clinical setting of invasive fungal infections.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Katrien Lagrou, tel.: +3216347098, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your motivation letter and detailed CV (incl. courses, grades, previous work, publications) through the online application tool (see below).
You can apply for this job no later than 11/12/2016 via the online application tool
To better plan and organise their stay in a foreign European country, researchers and their families can also benefit of the free and personalised assistance offered by the EURAXESS Services Centres , a network of more than 200 centres located in 40 different European countries.
Emerging Infections Abc’s Coordinator Doh Epidemiology & Response Division, University of Washington, United States, 10 days ago
Description: Purpose of Position: The New Mexico Department of Health (NMDOH) is looking for a well-organized person to coordinate the activities of the Active Bacterial Core Surveillance (ABCs) S...
21190 Postdoctoral Scientist Mapping & Markers Fixed Term (2 Years) Plant & Food Research, Plant & Food Research, New Zealand, 8 days ago
At Plant & Food Research we conduct research that adds value to fruit, vegetable, crop and food products. Our science and commercialisation supports the production of high quality produce and nove...
Associate Professor Of Clinical Microbiology, Syddansk University, Netherlands, about 4 hours ago
The Research Unit of Clinical Microbiology , Department of Clinical Research, invites applications for a position as associate professor of clinical microbiology (10% employment) to be filled as s...
Assistant Professor, University of Maryland, United States, about 16 hours ago
Campus/College Information: Founded in 1856, University of Maryland, College Park is the flagship institution in the University System of Maryland. Our 1,250-acre College Park campus is just minut...
Research Assistant In Vascular Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 25 days ago
The Department of Clinical Science, Intervention and Technology (CLINTEC) operates mainly at The Flemingsberg Campus in connection to Karolinska University Hospital Huddinge. The Department also o...
Postdoctoral Positions At Center For Peptide Based Antibiotics, Faculty Of Health And Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, about 2 hours ago
Postdoctoral positions at Center for Peptide-Based Antibiotics, Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences, University of Copenhagen Up to four postdoctoral positions are available in molecular/microb...