Job posted by KU Leuven (09/11/2016 01.45)
Marie Curie Actions. More
'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. More
European Research Council. More
The Laboratory of Clinical Bacteriology and Mycology in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology - University of Leuven (KU Leuven) - Belgium has a vacant position for a PhD student in medical mycology.
The mission of our laboratory is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of invasive fungal infections. The Leuven International Doctoral School Biomedical Sciences is a lively community counting over 1200 PhD researchers, more than 250 supervisors and a dedicated administrative staff.
Aspergilli are ubiquitous in the environment and cause a whole spectrum of human diseases including invasive life threatening infections in immunocompromised hosts. Triazole antifungal drugs are currently the cornerstones of prophylaxis and treatment of Aspergillus-releated diseases but global emergence of triazole resistance is a concern. Exposure of Aspergillus fumigatus to azole fungicides in the environment is believed to be an important route of resistance selection.
The aims of this project are:
- to gain a better insight in the evolving epidemiology of azole resistant A. fumigatus and the resistance mechanisms involved, through surveillance and molecular analysis of triazole resistant A. fumigatus isolates retrieved within the context of an international network (Aspergillus Resistance Surveillance working group from the International Society of Human and Animal Mycology, ISHAM, coordinators Prof dr Paul E.Verweij, the Netherlands, Prof dr Katrien Lagrou, Belgium, Prof dr A.Chowdhary, India and Dr SR Lockhart, USA). 25 centers have expressed interest to participate. These centers are well spread geographically including Europe, Middle East, Asia, Australia, Africa and the United States
- to evaluate the influence of resistance mechanisms on in vivo growth and disease progression in an established mouse model of invasive aspergillosis through multimodal imaging and biomarker testing in the presence or absence of antifungal prophylaxis/treatment and in a setting of mono- or mixed infection.
Nr of positions available : 1
Please note that the full description may be available in the national language since some job boards have their own publication policy. Thank you for your understanding!
Biological sciences - Biology
Medical sciences - Medicine
Early stage researcher or 0-4 yrs (Post graduate)
We offer a full time doctoral student research position for 4 years. The research output should result in a PhD degree.A stimulating work environment with direct contact with the University Hospitals of Leuven (a large tertiary care hospital) and molecular Small Animal Imaging Centre (moSAIC).
Comment/web site for additional job details
Reference number BAP-2016-579
- Master in medicine, pharmaceutical sciences,biomedical sciences or equivalent with outstanding study results.
- You are fluent in interdisciplinary English communication.
- You are critical, flexible, independent, creative, a team-player, willing to conduct rodent experiments and eager to emerge yourself in the complex clinical setting of invasive fungal infections.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Katrien Lagrou, tel.: +3216347098, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please submit your motivation letter and detailed CV (incl. courses, grades, previous work, publications) through the online application tool (see below).
You can apply for this job no later than 11/12/2016 via the online application tool
To better plan and organise their stay in a foreign European country, researchers and their families can also benefit of the free and personalised assistance offered by the EURAXESS Services Centres , a network of more than 200 centres located in 40 different European countries.
Staff Clinician: Mycology Clinical And Translational Research, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position Description: The National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID), Division of Intramural Research (DIR), Laboratory of Clinical Infectious Diseases (LCID) is offering a staf...
Hiv Persistence, Hiv Population Genetics, And Hiv Drug Resistance, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position Description: A postdoctoral position is available in the Clinical Retrovirology Section (CRS), HIV Dynamics and Replication Program (HIV DRP), Center for Cancer Research (CCR). The CRS st...
Biomedical Scientist, King's College Hospital, United Kingdom, about 2 hours ago
Applications are invited for an experienced Band 6 Biomedical Scientist to join our expanding Microbiology Department. We are a progressive service and provide a comprehensive range of investigati...
Research Associate Psa Resistance Plant & Food Research, Plant & Food Research, New Zealand, 4 days ago
Working within the Kiwifruit group of our New Cultivar Innovation portfolio, you'll provide technical input and expertise into research focussing on the identification and characterisation of Psa ...
Targeting Dna Repair Mechanisms In Organoid Models Of Metastatic Prostate Cancer, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position Description: A fully-funded postdoctoral position is available immediately to investigate mechanisms of cancer progression and drug responsiveness/resistance in homologous recombination r...
Cancer Genetics And Genomics, National Institutes of Health, United States, about 7 hours ago
Position Description: At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we're not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with i...