Job posted by KU Leuven (09/11/2016 01.45)
Marie Curie Actions. More
'HR Excellence in Research' logo awarded to institutions actively implementing the European Charter and Code for Researchers. More
European Research Council. More
The Laboratory of Clinical Bacteriology and Mycology in the Department of Microbiology and Immunology - University of Leuven (KU Leuven) - Belgium has a vacant position for a PhD student in medical mycology.
The mission of our laboratory is to improve the diagnosis and treatment of invasive fungal infections. The Leuven International Doctoral School Biomedical Sciences is a lively community counting over 1200 PhD researchers, more than 250 supervisors and a dedicated administrative staff.
Aspergilli are ubiquitous in the environment and cause a whole spectrum of human diseases including invasive life threatening infections in immunocompromised hosts. Triazole antifungal drugs are currently the cornerstones of prophylaxis and treatment of Aspergillus-releated diseases but global emergence of triazole resistance is a concern. Exposure of Aspergillus fumigatus to azole fungicides in the environment is believed to be an important route of resistance selection.
The aims of this project are:
- to gain a better insight in the evolving epidemiology of azole resistant A. fumigatus and the resistance mechanisms involved, through surveillance and molecular analysis of triazole resistant A. fumigatus isolates retrieved within the context of an international network (Aspergillus Resistance Surveillance working group from the International Society of Human and Animal Mycology, ISHAM, coordinators Prof dr Paul E.Verweij, the Netherlands, Prof dr Katrien Lagrou, Belgium, Prof dr A.Chowdhary, India and Dr SR Lockhart, USA). 25 centers have expressed interest to participate. These centers are well spread geographically including Europe, Middle East, Asia, Australia, Africa and the United States
- to evaluate the influence of resistance mechanisms on in vivo growth and disease progression in an established mouse model of invasive aspergillosis through multimodal imaging and biomarker testing in the presence or absence of antifungal prophylaxis/treatment and in a setting of mono- or mixed infection.
Nr of positions available : 1
Please note that the full description may be available in the national language since some job boards have their own publication policy. Thank you for your understanding!
Biological sciences - Biology
Medical sciences - Medicine
Early stage researcher or 0-4 yrs (Post graduate)
We offer a full time doctoral student research position for 4 years. The research output should result in a PhD degree.A stimulating work environment with direct contact with the University Hospitals of Leuven (a large tertiary care hospital) and molecular Small Animal Imaging Centre (moSAIC).
Comment/web site for additional job details
Reference number BAP-2016-579
- Master in medicine, pharmaceutical sciences,biomedical sciences or equivalent with outstanding study results.
- You are fluent in interdisciplinary English communication.
- You are critical, flexible, independent, creative, a team-player, willing to conduct rodent experiments and eager to emerge yourself in the complex clinical setting of invasive fungal infections.
For more information please contact Prof. dr. Katrien Lagrou, tel.: +3216347098, mail: email@example.com.
Please submit your motivation letter and detailed CV (incl. courses, grades, previous work, publications) through the online application tool (see below).
You can apply for this job no later than 11/12/2016 via the online application tool
To better plan and organise their stay in a foreign European country, researchers and their families can also benefit of the free and personalised assistance offered by the EURAXESS Services Centres , a network of more than 200 centres located in 40 different European countries.
Research Specialist Emory College Biology, Emory University, United States, 17 days ago
Job Description PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Prior experience working in the lab. with the Biology department. Well trained in general laboratory tasks (i.e. making media, autoclaving plastics and di...
Echocardiography Clinical Fellow, King's College Hospital, United Kingdom, 2 days ago
Applications are invited for the post of Clinical Fellow in Echocardiography to work at Denmark Hill. The cardiac non-invasive diagnostic department performs over 30,000 non-invasive procedures pe...
The Garrick Latch Post Graduate Scholarship In Plant Pathology, Massey University, New Zealand, 2 days ago
Closing date: 10/03/2018 Background: Dr Latch completed a master of Agricultural Science at Massey in 1958 after which he was awarded a Fulbright Scholarship that led to a PhD in Plant Pathology f...
Doctoral (Ph D) Student Position In Transcription Regulation And Cancer Biology, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden, 5 days ago
Department of Microbiology, Tumor andCellBiology(MTC) at KarolinskaInstitutet conductsresearchandteachingin immunology, infection biology, cellbiologyand cancer. MTChasabout430activeemployees, inc...
Research Officer 50142199, La Trobe University, Australia, 6 days ago
Contribute to and uphold a robust and ambitious research culture Full time, fixed term 1 Year at the Melbourne (Bundoora) campus $63,521 - $86,205 per annum plus up to 17% superannuation About La ...
Specialist Anaesthesia Senior Clinical Fellow, King's College Hospital, United Kingdom, 16 days ago
Specialist Anaesthesia Senior Clinical Fellow We are seeking to recruit to Specialist Senior Clinical Fellow posts in the Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care at King's College Hospital, Lo...